The Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs (FaHCSIA) has set aside $190 million to go towards early intervention funding as part of the federal government’s Helping Children With Autism package.
One of the initiatives from FaHCSIA is funding of up to $12,000 for children aged 0-6 years. Health Works is a provider of the Department of FaHCSIA Early Intervention Service Provider Panel. To be eligible to receive this funding, your child must have a formal diagnosis of an Autism Spectrum Disorder, and must be aged between 0-6 years.
Who is eligible for this funding?
If your child has been diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), is aged 0-6 years and has not yet started full time compulsory school you may be eligible to access a funding package of up to $12,000.
What can the funds be used for?
FaHCSIA has established a panel of early intervention service providers. Families can spend the funding package at any number of these services. Your Autism Advisor will provide you with further information on the panel.
- Families can spend up to $6,000 per financial year, up to a total of $12,000.
- Families can choose to spread the funding over the course of a financial year or may choose to use it within a short period of time whilst the child remains eligible.
- Families can choose to use the funding to pay for whole sessions or can choose to pay for only a portion of a service and use their own money to pay for the rest of the service.
What can’t the funds be used for?
- FaHCSIA funding cannot be used to subsidise the gap in Medicare funded services or any services that are fully funded by government.
- FaHCSIA will not pay for cancelled or missed appointments. This will be the responsibility of the family.
FaHCSIA’s role in the funding package
FaHCSIA will reimburse Health Works for Children and other services you access in arrears on behalf of families for services delivered. FaHCSIA will send out a monthly activity statement to families with information on where they have spent their funds and funding balances.
Our role in the funding package
Health Works is a member of the Early Intervention Service Provider Panel. Once you have been deemed eligible for the funding by FaHCSIA by your Autism Advisor, you can receive services from us and we will be directly reimbursed by the government.
Where can I get further information on the package?
If you would like more information about the Helping Children with Autism package, fact sheets are available from…
You can also call the Helping Children with Autism Inquiry Line on 1800 289 177.